Tar Heel Pundits - Tar Heel born and Tar Heel bred
Tar Heel Pundits
"[A] prolific linker and thinker." - Ed Cone
North Carolina Bar Association's Website of the Week, September 18, 2002
choose a color:
                        random

email: tarheelpundit @ gmail.com

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I cannot believe...

My beloved Heels lost a tough one at Cameron Indoor. The loss is not that hard to deal with, but the way the loss occurred is hard for me to believe. After I look back at the scorebook and the interview with Coach Williams, I will go into more detail. My initial impressions are as follows:

Why did UNC not adjust to the way the officials were calling the game? The refs were consistent (which is more than I can usually say for a UNC-Duke game). They were calling fouls when players drove from the backcourt towards the rim. Duke took advantage of this (thus all of the FTs by Redick). UNC did not. UNC lost much in part to FTs.

Why did Coach Williams not put the ball and the game in Felton's hands? The only reason UNC was in the game in the first half was Felton. He scored 7 early points. He did not score again until more than midway through the second half! Then, he brought the Heels to the brink of a win. But, the final play seemed to be designed for someone else. He looked like he was determined to get the ball to McCants (via Noel) late. Odd considering the only players producing on offense were Felton and May. I cannot believe that I actually think Coach was out-coached.

I will be back with my post-analysis thoughts later.


posted by Rhodenhiser @ 11:34 PM


Comments: Post a Comment