Tar Heel Pundits - Tar Heel born and Tar Heel bred
Tar Heel Pundits
"[A] prolific linker and thinker." - Ed Cone
North Carolina Bar Association's Website of the Week, September 18, 2002
choose a color:
                        random

email: tarheelpundit @ gmail.com

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

U.S. Students Say Press Freedoms Go Too Far

Everyone who is having a fit about this article (currently #4 on Blogdex), which says that one in three U.S. high school students say the press ought to be more restricted, needs to calm down. Please remember that these are high school students taking a survey in class. Does anyone remember what is was like to be a high school student? I'm not saying they aren't honest, but I do remember getting a survey like this when I was in school. If I remember correctly it asked us to name a few of the first U.S. presidents, and even though I knew the answer I listed the starting five of the Duke Basketball team (yes, that was back in the dark days of my youth when I was a Duke fan). It's not that the kids are dumb, or favor a government without a free press---they are kids, and a lot of them probably gave the wrong answer just so everyone would go nuts like we are. Relax people.


posted by John Branch @ 10:08 AM


Comments: Post a Comment