Tar Heel Pundits - Tar Heel born and Tar Heel bred
Tar Heel Pundits
"[A] prolific linker and thinker." - Ed Cone
North Carolina Bar Association's Website of the Week, September 18, 2002
choose a color:
                        random

email: tarheelpundit @ gmail.com

Monday, March 21, 2005

Why I Love the Internet

Tonight I found two of the best webpages I may ever see. The first is by a N.C. State student, The Collected Wit and Wisdom of Julius Hodge. A couple of the best quotes:
On the differences between Harlem and Raleigh, January 21, 2002:
“New York is the place to be. I could wake up there at three in the morning and decide to go to the store for some chips and Snapple and there would be cars racing down the street and people walking around everywhere. If I do that here, I'd probably get attacked by a deer.”

When asked whether Duke’s Cameron Crazies got to him in a January 15, 2004, loss at Cameron Indoor:
“There's no way I could let a guy with a 4.5 GPA, acne and bad breath decide the way I'm going to play on the court. Everywhere I go I get that, so that didn't make a difference.”

After defeating Florida State on the first day of the ACC Tournament, March 10, 2005:
“All we can do is continue to play great basketball, great defense, and continue to show off our pearly whites.”
I have to hand it to him. Julius is a funny guy, and his stock has gone up in my book.

The other gem of the internet I found was from Sports Illustrated. They published a bunch of J.J. Redick's poetry, seemingly with his permission. (Hat tip: MB)

Here is J.J. on living life behind "invisible bars":
No bandage can cover my scars
It's hard living a life behind invisible bars
Searching for the face of God
I'm only inspired by the poems of Nas
Because the truth has carved my life's patterns
The reality of pain, and the joy of laughter
My hopes and dreams shattered
by the miscalculation of my own situation
It's difficult to keep my nerves patient
Facing the forecast of fears
that none of my peers have ever been faced with
I wanna reach the top floor, but I'm stuck in the basement
With not enough juice to burst through
the chains that have shackled my brain
It seems my dreams have carried me to a separate peace
apart from reality
Society is allowing me to grow into the man I'm destined to become
But how can I move when my entire skeleton is numb?
Numb from the obstacles that I've been given
Suddenly the bars connect to walls
and I find myself contained inside life's prison
He had to have lost some sort of bet to do this. Seriously. Poetry!?! From someone who will be playing in the NBA soon? Geez. Not what I imagined. He will never hear the end of this. Ever.

And talk about confirming all the stereotypes about Duke...


posted by John Branch @ 10:04 PM


Comments: Post a Comment